Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Almonds... Or Really Any Nut Of Your Choosing




So most people during the holiday season think of cinnamon sugar nuts... They are a favorite of mine and I am sure most of you enjoy them well enough too... However... A little secret... I make them all year... What makes something a seasonal food anyhow... If you like it at Christmas or what have you... Why not any other time... I have already discussed how I do not label my foods into breakfast/lunch/dinner blah blah blah.... I too do not agree with seasonal foods... If I want soup in July so be it... I will have my soup... I will just turn the AC a little cooler while enjoying my yummy soup... Food is food and should be enjoyed any time of day and any time of year!!! Rant over! ***By the way this is an old picture and look there is a Christmas tree in the back ground... hahaha That is a rant fail... I should have taken a pic next to a palm tree.***


Ok so I love these little things but I wanted ones that did not use corn syrup... so I found a few recipes that used egg white instead... so this is an egg white recipe... They are not going to taste just like they do at the fair because most of those are made w/ corn syrup... but they do taste great nonetheless.


Cinnamon Sugar Almonds


1 egg white

1 tsp cold water

3 cups whole (raw) almonds

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp cinnamon


Preheat oven to 250 F... lightly grease cookie sheet (I line mine w/ parchment instead but you can do what you want).


In a large bowl lightly beat egg and water until frothy... do not over beat it to where it becomes stiff (ayyy watch it)... Toss in the almonds and stir (or toss if adventurous) to coat... Mix the cinnamon, sugan and nutmeg together and then pour into the bowl and mix until all almonds are coated... Spread out onto the baking pan.


Bake for 1 hour stirring occasionally until golden. Allow them to cool and store them in an air tight container.

1 comment:

  1. I have never even considering attempting to make these at home. Perhaps come Christmastime.....hahhahahha!

    ReplyDelete